Karunagappally is a city in Kollam district of the Indian state of Kerala. The place has beautiful backwaters, which connects it to Kollam and Alappuzha.karunagappally
Padanayarkulangara, which forms part of the town, was once the military station of the Kayamkulam Rajas. An idol of Buddha, recovered from a local tank here, has raised speculations that Karunagappally was once a center of Buddhist teachings.
The city is well connected by rail and road with other cities in the region. . It has a thriving economy and boasts of well developed commercial establishments and public infrastrucutre. Karunagappally is well known for its coir, fishing and tourism industries. The town is an important township located on the backwaters of Kerala.The climate is tropical wet, with heavy rain in the monsoon season.
Karunagappally Taluk consists of 11 Panchayats & 1 municipality:
The geographical coordinates for Karunagappally are. Karunagappally taluk covers an area of 66.34 km².
The taluk is bound on the north by Kayamkulam, east by Kunnathur taluk, south by Kollam and on the west
by the Arabian Sea.
As of 2010 India census, Karunagappally had a population of 610514. Males constitute 299494 of the population and females 311020. Karunagappally has an average literacy rate of 89.5%, higher than the national average of 60.5%; with 52% of the males and 51% of females literate. 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Main transport is provided by State owned Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and private transport bus operators. Karunagappally Bus Station is on National Highway 47. Buses ply from Karunagappally to Thiruvananthapuram, Alappuzha, Kumily, Kollam, Chavara and Sasthamkotta. Local services are also available to various places in the district. The station operates super fast, fast passenger and ordinary buses. KSRTC Bus stand is situated in the heart of the town. Road transport is also supported by private taxis and autorickshaws also called autos. Karunagappally Railway Station, situated in edakkulangara falls on the Thiruvananthapuram-Ernakulum railway line. Kanyakumari-Bangalore Express, Parasuram Express, Venad Express, Malabar Express, Amrita Express and Thiruvananthapuram-Ernakulum Express are the main train connections. Station Code: KPY. Trivandrum International Airport is the nearest airport.
The major employers in the public sector are Indian Rare Earth (IRE), Kerala Metals and Minerals Limited (KMML) at Shankaramangalam, KeraFed Puthiyakavu, and House Boat Manufacturing Alumkadavu & Kozhikode. Cashew nut industry plays a vital role. Coconut, Paddy, tapioca, banana etc. is the other main agricultural crops. Prominent small scale and cottage industries are based on bricks, well rings making, engineering and electronics items handicrafts etc.
* SNVLPS, Kallelibhagom
* UPS Thodiyoor, Kallelibhagom
* RSM ITC, Kallelibhagom
* SN TTC, Kallelibhagom
* SN Vidyapeedam, Kallelibhagom
* Govt. H.S.S Sankaramangalam
* Town LPS, Karunagappally
* Govt. Model VHSS Karunagappally
* Boys H.S Karunagappally
* SNOS Nr Govt. Hospital Karunagappally
* B.J.S.M.Madathil V.H.S.S Thazhava North
* C.S.S.P.M.Girls High School Karunagappally
* U.P.G.S Karunagappally
* Govt. U.P School Kozhikkode
* Govt. W.L.P School, Padanayarkulangara South, Karunagappally
* Govt. L.P School marunnoorkkulangara
* Govt. S.K.V.U.P SHOOL Muzhangoottuvilla
* S.N.U.P School Thurayilkkadavu
* S.N.U.P SCHOOL Thurayilkunnu
* Govt. H.S.S Kulasekharapuram
* S.V.H.S.S Clappana
* A.V.H.S Thazhava
* Govt. V.H.S.S Cherizhazheekkal
* Govt. H.S Kuzhithura
* Govt. L.P and U.P Ponmana
* Govt. L.P Cherizhazheekkal
* Lords Public School, Karunagappally (CBSE)
Other Main Colleges:—–
College of Engineering, Karunagappally
Run by IHRD, College of Engineering, Karunagappally started functioning in the year 2000. Affiliated to CUSAT, the college offers B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, and Information Technology.
Sree Vidhyadhiraja Arts & Science College
Sree Vidhyadhiraja Arts & Science College, Thevarcavu, Karunagappally, is a private, unaided, college, owned and managed by Shree Vidyadhiraja Vidya Samajam of Thiruvananthapuram – a Charitable Educational Society registered under the Societies Registration Act. The college offers degree courses in three faculties viz. Physics, Mathematics and Commerce.
Amrita Vishwa Vdiyapeetham
Amrita University is a deemed university recognized for excellent academic credentials. The university boasts state of the art infrastructure, and has campuses both at Karunagappally and Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. The Amritapuri campus consists of Engineering, Arts & Science, Biotechnology, Ayurveda colleges and a Higher Secondary school.
* Govt. Taluk Hospital Karunagappally
* A.M. Hospital Karunagappally, Phone 0476-2622864
* S.B.M Hospital, Karunagappally
* Pearl Hospital, Karunagappally
* Parabrahma Speciality Hospital, Oachira, Karunagappally.
* Mahadeva Temple, Mararithottam, Kallelibhagom
* Padanayarkulangara Mahadeva Temple, Karunagappally.
* Sree Subramanya Swami Temple, Thurayilkunnu
* Kannelil Yogiswara Siva Temple, Kozhikode.
* Mahadeva Temple, Maruthoorkulangara
* Devi Temple, Mookumpuzha, Pandarathurathu